“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Saturday 20 August 2011

Road race epic

Some races you forget, some you never forget and today's epic is very firmly in the latter category.

Before our start there was some concern that it would be a wet race, but the locals had predicted just a shower.  THEY WERE WRONG!

The race commences somewhat cruelly for us older slower starters, with a brief downhill and then about 1000m at 6%, by the time we'd got to the top it was raining..heavy drops, not just drizzle.  Then it got worse, not only rain but a very strong side wind ...... we were on the downhill hoon by then...we were being swept across the road, trees were falling, debris everywhere.  So at about 2-3km into the race I'd decided a short cut would be a great idea and so I teemed up with 2 others, sheltering in shops when the storm was overhead and the thunder and lightning were a bit toooo scarey.  We lost the third rider somewhere..she had prescription sunglasses and couldn't see with them on or without them.....

As lightning again caused us to look for shelter we saw one of our number riding towards us...she'd got lost and boy was she glad to see us.

By the time we got home the rain had stoppped and then sun was out...and we found out that all the afternoon races had been cancelled.

TT tomorrow...hope it's fine...I seemed to be doomed with my planned races

No comments:

Post a Comment