“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Friday 9 September 2011

Body Shock Time

So with jet lag a receding issue and my focus now on the world Masters Track Championships in Manchester, I am attempting to morph from a roadie to a trackie. Not only is my body against me,  the weather is also well and truly counter productive..rain, hail, wind followed by sun (cold sun that is :-), after all this IS Melbourne we're talking about )...I've got so many clothes on I feel and look like a Michelin advert.

So, no more loooong rides for me, now I'm doing the short sharp stuff on the velodrome.3 or 4 times a week and it's VERY tiring.

I have until 7/9 to get my body into some sort of shape for a 500m dash, a 2000m grovel and a 10 km mass start giggle (giggle because I'll probably have to race against young chicks.....well...young to me ;-D).

In other news, I have resigned from the Australian Masters Commission and am currently watching, with considerable interest, the UCI 's latest money making attempt   ie the "cycling for all grand fondo type "world" championships for amateurs and masters, happening this weekend in Belgium .

The numbers are low and in fact a whole heap of non qualifying wild cards were offered,  and the course is rugged.....ok for young males maybe, but "Masters"encompasses male and female 35 -85+ years old.  Watch that and this space!  100% of Masters racers I have spoken to think/know the idea is "just not racing".

Another major gripe I have is Masters racing being included in the  belittling term "Cycling for all"..to me this shows a total lack of respect for older racing cyclists. I could go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment