“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Wednesday 12 October 2011

the pursuit

well I must have worked hard 'cos I had pursuiter's cough.  The only fly in the works for me was that, unlike in aus, we weren't allowed to have cyclocomputers uncovered and I'd planned to monitor my cadence.

So....same old same old...too fast a second lap, hang in for another coupla quick ones and then gradually die.....with a faster last lap of course....

I had hoped to aim for a sub 3 minute but ended up with a 3 min 02.5secs which was .1second faster than the other W65 and so at the insistent bidding of all the other old farts, I went to claim a W65-69 World Best Time since there wasn't one posted.

First up they were hesitant to allow it because I'd not been chaperoned from the get go...then I pointed out that the results had not been available and so we didn't know which of us was the  faster.  Then the  UCI person was most unhelpful, pointing out that the W60+ record was faster than mine....so a discussion ensued.  I pointed out that I held a W65-69 hour record and that men's records went well beyond 65-69, I held in reserve the fact of the  W65-69 time trial already established best time by an American for a counter punch but it wasn't needed and I spent the next hour drinking 4 bottles of water before nature allowed me to provide a sample for drug testing.

The saddle issue appears to have eased with all passing as long as they are level.





3 comments:

  1. Glad you stuck to your guns, since you already had the 'best' time for the TT in the age group, bit pointless if they weren't going to allow one for the Pursuit - as you mentioned earlier, seems there are different rules for the men versus women! At least it was worthwhile you going over. Tried to find some results last evening but the server was being hit too much and no band width! So, one ride left, where you will be sitting off the back unless they slow down! Have safe trip back - Currently sitting in Melbourne airport, back to Perth in 2hrs time - lucky not to have flights cancelled or changed as they were playing silly buggers today!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Liz but why the hell is the UCI trying to further prove your point about them being chauvenistic nuffnuffs who try to avoid doing any work that may actually benefit their major stakeholders ie riders. Pox on them for being overly and unnecessariyly difficult, ensuring you waste energy and love fighting for something that you are entitled to. My final statement: FFS.

    PS a huge congrats on your results :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. tnx L&L. Lorraine, I've edited my post to be more accurate, since Marsha Macro has the TT record (44.18) which she got at least a year ago. My TT is tomorrow and I've scratched from the Scratch(!).
    Next year's event is October 6th-14th.

    ReplyDelete