“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Monday 27 February 2012

2nd TT of the year and a change of coach

TT's that are set specifically  for Masters riders  tend to be fairly flattish.  The 2 TT's I've ridden this year with the Coburg Club have not been set for Masters riders.

Yesterday's race was from Cottles Bridge to Strathewen and back , starting off with a ~ 2km uphill grunt with a nasty tendency to get worse the closer you got to the top. 


...I'm not quite sure how I managed to have a loop on the map 2/3 the way in since it was an out  and back course...but ...

The fastest male was back in 34 minutes, I took 53.  I recall Steve Moneghetti commenting on how much admiration he had for the extra work, grit and determination shown by  those doing marathons in 4 hours against his 2 hours + a few minutes and wonder if these fast guys spare a thought for those of us slogging it out for that much longer in 30+ degree heat.  I somehow doubt it!

Not only was it hot, it was quite windy and  so the run out was much worse than the run home, by 7 minutes for me with a top speed of 66kph on the final hoon home.  I arrived at the turn around with a dead brain and promptly ignored any and all instructions from the marshall...not a question of DISobeying, more a question of "who are you and what are those flags in your hand and who am I and ??????". Whoops.

Best parts of the race: the cheer squad at the top of the hill on the way out, the downhill hoon and finishing!


When I got home the shower and nanna nap I was looking forward to suddenly took second place when I noticed the Flea the hunter had a wound  on his left hip and at 1330, I'd missed the local vet's Sunday morning surgery so we had to go off to the 24hour extremely expensive ($260) emergency vet clinic.

Many hours later I was home and packing up 2 parcels of things I'd sold on ebay.


Change of coach
After about 5 years with the same coach, I've opted to change  since I was more in need of face to face input and also was not managing the "ride to this wattage" approach.  So after a break of about 6 weeks I'm now back with a program.  Any change to training starts off bringing results since you are forced out of your comfort zone; hopefully this change will not only bring results immediately but also long term and will give me the boost I need both mentally and physically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment