“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Tuesday 10 July 2018

Torre del Greco to Paestum

I was grateful to leave Greco del Torre..it's grotty streets, inappropriate apartment, scarred cars, noise and busyness but the next couple of hours led to an increase of grey hair, worry lines and panic-caused twitching and breath sucking in.  Yes..you guessed it...we drove around the Amalfi coast road.



When I said "we" drove, I actually mean Alex drove and I suffered.  Actually he enjoys and is good at this sort of driving...switchbacks, twisty narrow roads and all in the company of a zillion other drivers...all crazy of course and another zillion tourist buses. I, on the other hand, do not enjoy and am not good at this sort of passengering!!  Someone described it as being similar to the Great Ocean Road in my home state of Victoria...nope it's more like the foot trail up any steep mountain pass.

We managed to get through without any extra scars on the car but since it was so busy, also without managing to find a  place to park the car at any of the photo opp spots and so all our pix are taken out of the window while moving.

Realising we needed to leave Torre del Greco  earlier than planned, I booked 3 nights in a BnB at Cappucio near Paestum.  We were lucky to find a nice place with 2 separate rooms, AC and internet.  The BnB was pretty new as the family had recently fixed their large house up with the ground floor being part a granny flat, part BnB.  It was close to a good hilly ride and also Paestum.  On day 1 we went out for an evening meal but then got the fixings and ate in our rooms.

the town on this hill is where I got to on my ride


on the road..what is it?


Breakfast for me is always cereal and a lot of coffee.  In our 3 BnB stays provision of cereal has been ...well ...different!

At Anghiari despite being offered cereal, it never showed!
At Paestum..there was 1 type of cereal (I think it was cereal) but I think it was anticipated you put it into the tub of yoghurt...there was really no other option.
At  Drapia there were 3 types of cereal including Muesli but no bowls and no milk....??!!

Well..travel does broaden the mind and give you plenty of things to write/talk about!

It also points up that while we spend alot of time here in Italy, staying in apartments doesn't get you inside Italian family culture at all.  The Paestum BnB certainly did and that family will be forever  bamboozled by our eating habits including not liking mozarella buffala, salami and pizza,(and definitely not for brekky!) and especially our  total lack of interest in going to the beach!

Paestum was just down the road and we went for our 3rd day of culture...that's it then...enough already!!  As a very young child I suffered terminal boredom visiting Roman remains (my father's hobby) while staying with my aunt in Northumberland and so my threshold for tolerating ancient ruins is very low.

running repairs

ancient and modern





No comments:

Post a Comment