“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Monday 2 July 2018

Feltre to Napoli

Once I got round to checking out how long this would take (8 hours), I realised that there had to be a half way halt.  The revised plan was to leave on Friday, drive about 4 hours and do the next 4 hours on Saturday (AKA lemming day...when the roads are filled with tourists fleeing from 1 location to another).

Alex suggested somewhere near Arezzo so after research I opted for Anghiari and little did I realise what a gem I'd opted for.

 Firstly, our bnb was in a small commune of 10 families  up in the hills and about 6km away from Anghiari ; the main house used to be a monastery and is even older than where we stayed ~~1000 year old.  It is a  place where pilgrims stayed ie it was on a "pilgrim's way" from Assisi to ? The next stop on the pilgrim's way was a castle on a hill visible from  there but  rather a long way away!



the old monastery

our bnb


found around the back!


Secondly... how lucky were we as we just  happened to arrive on Anghiari's  Palio night when the town celebrated a war they won in mediaeval times (any excuse for a party!)

Anghiari from afar

Palio commemorating a mediaeval battle


Trumpeter

bagpipes!!

Not only did we have incredible luck to arrive on this particular weekend but the town itself is so full of photo opportunities that  I ran my camera's battery down to empty!







The only downside of the entire experience was that the next day I left a parcel of perishables in the bnb's fridge...dammit!


No comments:

Post a Comment