“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Sunday 3 July 2011

getting there Melbourne to Dubai to Paris to Karlsruhe

1/7/2011
Dubai airport..transit lounge
13 hours down, 7 to go
It’s at times such as these you have to be grateful for strong legs and fairly flexible hip joints….ie the toilets are not western style.
So far everything has been boringly normal…except for the fact that I forgot to turn off my phone for the flight and when I finally twigged, the battery was noticeably “used”…I’m soooo hoping I wont end up with a mega data bill again. It also rather goes to show that perhaps phones don’t really affect the plane’s navigational system.


Paris to Karlsruhe

Karlsruhe.Germany and I think it’s Saturday 2nd July or is it Friday 1st?
The second part of the flight, with an aisle bulkhead seat at the very front of the plane (and yet economy class)  would have gone brilliantly if my neighbours had been anyone other than a young mother and her 2 babies….enough said!
Despite the glazed eyes (jet lag and fatigue) and the really bad smell (no shower for a very long time), the reception at the Karlsruhe Novotel found a room for me...pix taken at 5.30 am!
Actually I would have happily driven on to Stuttgart in order to totally break the back of the first journey…all 900km of it,  but I had to settle for  500km done and dusted as I was getting low on fuel and the next autobahn petrol station was a bit too far away and finding a hotel really late at night is not easy.
The town appears really nice, the hotel is just as one would expect but the big surprise was in the hotel garage…


 apparently there a Classic/Vintage car rally here , this  Rolls Royce open tourer was the jaw dropper.

Definitely downhill in style is my current set of wheels:


 a Renault Megane which is great although it has electronic beeps that cause me palpitations..eg a loud one when approaching a speed camera, a softer one plus an arrow on the speed dial if you’re in the wrong gear and with 6 of them, I keep forgetting the final 2. 

I slid back into driving on the RH side of the road with ease although I am tending to position the car too far to the right when in the slow lane and have established an embarrassingly loving relationship with the kerb side rumble strips..if I don’t manage to kick this habit I’ll probably end up with badly worn RH side tyres.

Better stop and get going..it’s 5am ..I’ve a few car pix to take, brekky to eat and a bike to check before I get on the road....
What you missed on the road yesterday??  A town in France called Bitche!

No comments:

Post a Comment