“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Thursday 14 July 2011

No pix this time, just ongoing sagas

Coincidences abound in life but who would have predicted that the new student in class this week would a) be an Aussie, b) live in Melbourne, c) go to the same Italian school in Melbourne as me and finally c)work at the same place as I do/did.

TT bike saga
On Tuesday I had a day off school to pick up my TT bike from Florence airport…I would have liked to visit the city again but one look at the temperature gage at the airport (39°C) had me scuttling back to the relative cool of the hills.  The ransom demand for the bike was only €30 so despite the delays and time taken retrieving it, it was worthwhile financially.  The TT bike, wheels, TT helmet, bag and plenty of bubble wrap was 17kg which would have crippled my wallet if I’d taken it with me.

GPS saga
I had a bit of a problem at the start of the journey to Florence ‘cos the car’s inbuilt GPS decided I wanted the keyboard in the Cyrillic alphabet!!  I dunno I think I’m doomed.  It took me a while but eventually I worked out I had to do a factory re-set.

Talking Italian saga
I’m talking a whole heap more Italian and naturally the faster I get the worse my grammar is and the more funny mistakes I make.  I’m fairly certain I asked a shop lady what time she got lost instead of what time did she open, and just now talking to an 88 year old lady I told her that in the company of 20yrs olds, as I am at language school, I felt a very cow..instead of very old. A close awareness of the other person’s facial expressions and body language soon lets you know when you’ve goofed!

2 comments:

  1. Laughing out loud Liz!!! You're a very cow?? Come si dice "cow" in italiano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. easy peasy..either mucca or vacca...I used vacca!! vecchia is, natch, what i actually wanted to say...but....!

    Mega stinking hot here....humido

    ciao

    Elisabetta/Litz

    ReplyDelete