“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Thursday 22 December 2011

'tis the season to be indulgent

so finally the weather has come good and I can get out onto the road more days than not  and away from the track and the ergo. 

Or at least that's what I thought until I managed to injure myself on Sunday.

I may never wash the kitchen floor again!    After warning everyone to watch out I managed to skid  while putting my right foot down and since I was in "push off" phase with my left foot I managed to cause  some painful damage to a couple of toes.  Either fractured little terminal phalanges or more likely, the terminal interphalangeal joints dislocated briefly.....whatever, it put a dent in my endurance training for 4 days..off the bike totally on Sunday and Monday and short sessions only on the ergo for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Wednesday was s'posed to be a VO2Max session for a research program that I'm  participating in, but I had to cancel.

Today was a 50 km ride and although I was a bit aware of my toes by the end I was really happy to be out and about again.  This ride is really great..no traffic lights at all  until the very last bit...the straight bit at the bottom of the map


I'm taking part in the Rapha Festive 500 between Dec 23 and Dec 31.....you have to ride 500km between those dates..not too hard for those of us where the weather is warm..can't think how I'd do it in UK ...ergo, rollers  and spin classes don't count.

I found out about it  on Strava which is where I download my road ride Garmin details, which I do after I've downloaded my SRM PCVI into the SRM site, WKO+ and finally Training Peaks  ;-)

Other things I  have downloaded (for the ergo) are the Sufferfest training videos which I link in with Trainer road. Trainer Road is a very useful program which tells me exactly what wattage I should be attempting for each phase of the videos....you plug in your HR and power thresholds so it does the transposing for you.  I was somewhat insulted the other day though as I'd failed to complete the full workout and a message flashed up saying I needed to change my power threshold from 175 watts to 0 watts!!


No comments:

Post a Comment