“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Saturday 7 April 2012

Fortune's Favourites

I've discovered an interest in the history of Ancient Rome and have been busy reading about it..both heavy,sleep inducing stuff and lighter historical novels of which Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series has both grabbed my interest and at the same time exercised my arm muscles.  There are 7 tomes in the series and I'm on the 3rd which is called Fortune's Favourites.

Yesterday I was one of Fortunes Favourites and am really more than somewhat lucky to be alive and unhurt because while driving  to Maryborough, where I'm racing this weekend, I had a microsleep.  Actually more like a nano sleep but that's just semantics...I was tired, the setting sun had been directly ahead for a very long time and I fell asleep at the wheel.  I came to with my right hand wheels over the double white line and ........1000% luckily for me there was  aboslutely no other traffic on the road.

Ye gods but that was scarey. A huge wake up call..pun intended.

Needless to say I stopped, regrouped and put the aircon fan on high and very cold and directed it on my face and finally drove on.  Why was I so tired?  well... I woke up extremely early on Thursday (3am) and couldn't get back  to sleep again, then I had a full day at work and it was a bit of a  warm day. I have to keep reminding myself that nowadays I am finding driving more tiring than I used to  and clearly, if I want to stay alive for a few years more I'll have to re think my "travel to races" plans and allow more time with less rush.

So my road race today was a bit of a "this is the first day of the rest of my life" event......and thank you God for no traffic and nano rather than micro.

 Maryborough to Dunolly and back..just a very few hills. dead straight empty roads.  Windy...sooo much better hidden  in a group.

Our group was  ages 50+ with ~12 fronting up for a 45km race.  The weather while warming up before the race was a rather hot and humid (37 C in the open) but gradually the wind strengthened and the temp dropped to be more like 32C.

The group generally was working okay and was moving at a fair lick when, while clawing our way up a longish up hill drag, with my pulse rate going waaaaay too high, I let them go (must work at this aspect..it's my weakest).

 So then for me it was TT practice until I caught up with others who'd been dropped. I worked  with one (my competition) briefly but a strong pull left her off the wheel.  Later I eased off a bit and she caught back up again and we approached the finale together, although I then became really confused as she didn't challenge me to the line..later she told me she was in the 60-64 age group!   I'm not sure she was impressed when I tactlessly told her that her grey hair had made me think she was in my age grade!

As always with the Vets, the event was very well run and Maryborough is very supportive of the event which is now into its 15th year.  Innovations this year are transponders on the bike for the 2 timed events..the 300m straight line sprint and the TT.  As one of the organisors remarked...finding volunteer officials is getting more and more difficult (we're all still racing!) and any innovation that allows less manpower should be taken up.  To me transponders with a back up finish line camera are 100% the way to go for all races and whats more cyclists should buy their own transponders from the organisation...just like Orienteers have been doing for the last 10-15 years! Not only does it make timing and results much easier, your details are registered and so allows for a pain free expereince entering events....just quote the transponder no.

The presentation ceremony was after the meal at the Highland Club. The event is also the Victorian championships so there were 2 rounds of presentations,  and as in previous years went on far too long.  Best thing was the presence of 3 giant TV's so at least we were able to watch the World Track Champs at the same time!  Sooo sad for Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment