“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Tuesday 24 April 2012

I'm a Physio not a nurse!

Soooo...once again I've changed jobs.

 I swear if I EVER have an injury or illness  that requires me being immobilised ALL my family had better bloody well step up to the plate!

Following a rushed appointment with Mr Frank Lyons, my new hero, Alex had his # clavicle operated on.  His op was on Thursday afternoon  at Vimy House and while I had planned on visiting him, since he hadn't got back to the ward by 5pm  I realised there was little point and so decided to pop in briefly  early Friday with some clothes before returning later for a longer visit.

I was almost there when Alex rang to say he was being discharged!  both of us were a bit confused by this since we had been told that  be would be discharged on  Saturday.  I did a hurried revamp of my day's plans and by 0930 we were on our way back home clutching meds and a list of exercises from the Physiotherapist.

That day was a bit difficult for Alex but we both got through it although  he may have spiked a temp overnight.  Then we got a phone call from the surgeon who, like us yesterday, was somewhat gobsmacked that Alex had been discharged.  I can envisage some harsh words being spoken by him to the ward staff...!  However nothing bad happened and Alex saved almost $1000.  5 days post op and  Alex is doing more and more and now it's a question of stopping him doing too much too soon.

TT bike issues

Realising I can't always be using Alex's wheels for racing TT's..if only because he plans on entering the same races later in the year, I bought my self a set of Zipp Firecrest  wheels..called a Zipp 600 they are actually a 404 front wheel and an 808 back wheel.


I found some Vittoria crono tyres and had them glued on and then tried to put the wheels on the bike, which is when I came across a major problem.....they wouldn't fit between the brake pads...too wide.  The front wheel was not an issue ..I just needed to loosen off the brake cable, but the back wheel was quite a different kettle of fish.



He fiddled and fiddled and fiddled.  No easy fix possible with the current set up.
Solution No 1 was to change from yellow Swiss stop pads to Shimano pads..much struggling and swearing later (they're a really tight fit) and while better it wasn't the solution.
Solution No 2  grind down the pads.
Solution No 3 made by yours truly...would a different set of pad holders have a lower profile than the Bontragers? (looking at the Dura Ace ones on my road bike)..good thought, so Ben tries a spare set I have lying around (not Dura Ace ) and bugger me...it works and after a search for the adjustment screws which are cunningly hidden, we have lift off.  Yaaay.

First test ride on Beach Road tomorrow, weather permitting, and then  back to racing at Wangaratta on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment