“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Monday 17 October 2011

Manchester to Florence a bit of an epic.


Manchester to Florence a bit of an epic.
I guess if I had decided earlier on that I would freight my bike back rather than the alternative of leaving it a left luggage at Manchester for 2 weeks, I would have booked a flight direct from Manchester to Florence..however…..I didn’t so I didn’t, dammit.
As a result yesterday’s trip was Manchester- London Gatwick-Rome-Florence was somewhat of a long haul trip lasting from 0900 to 2200.  Oddly it was the same plane on both legs and wasn’t the most comfortable or quiet plane I’ve flown on and of course food and service were minimal.  Gatwick was a revelation..I’d expected a smaller meaner airport similar to Stanstead but was pleasantly surprised.  All the Italian cyclists were there too, but weren’t on my flight.
My bag took for ever to arrive on the carousel, but despite that I managed to find the station, buy a ticket (14 euro) and get on the train into Rome that I’d hoped to catch which was the end of the smooth bit!..the walk from that train in Rome to the ticket office, find the ticket office,  buy a ticket (40 euro) and then walk miles to find the train was a long and stressful time to say the least. I was dripping with sweat once the task was completed.  However  once again I caught the train I’d hoped to although it was chock full and  I had to stand.  Getting a taxi to our accommodation once in Firenze was easy peasy (15 euro).
Accommodation
The apartment is alongside the River Arno and is about 2km from the centre of town and our school, the weather is s’posed to be good for the next 3 days so we’ll walk the trip while it is good, and take a bus when it’s raining. 
We’d asked for a family stay with us doing our own cooking plus we didn’t really want a share bathroom.  Well we sorta got that, we got a private toilet, but still have to share the shower….we are staying with a couple whose 3 children are now adults and have moved out.   So we both have the use of 2 of their bedrooms as a bed-sit.  Plain. Bare bones.  A bit like a hotel.
 My sister  arrived much earlier and had gleaned that our lady host used to teach English Literature , her husband finishes work at 2200 and one of her sons hopes to move to Australia but by the time  I arrived I was brain dead and conversation was minimal, I can’t even recall her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment