“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

Monday 10 October 2011

Saddle update and more on the older age class numbers

Well, the indications are that the saddles mentioned in yesterday's post are extremely suspect but it may well be that the weight of numbers will be in the athlete's favour.....ie there so many riders with that particular style of saddle (or one very much like it) that refusing their usage would wipe out too many competitors.

If our information is accurate, my feeling is that they can't ban them for this competition since there aren't enough replacements available but that notice will be served on the masters community to change saddles for the 2012 Worlds....more info as it comes to hand.

Re: the shabby treatment of older age classes re needing 6 to create a grade, the advice from my UCI contact here in Manchester is that we need to speak to the UCI through our National Federations and our national UCI rep.  To remind you...I'm 67 years old and I have to race the scratch against W45 and unlike the past 4 years, there will only be 3 medals for the first 3 past the post.  My pursuit is with W50's and my TT W55's. 

To compete in UK,  an Australian has to pay $A2000-3000 airfare if travelling cattle class ~$5000 if in business class.  Add entry fees, accommodation and sundry expenses and you have to wonder why you'd bother if you end up riding against women  ~22 years younger. 

Something needs to be done to get the UCI to listen to us , but it'll take a loud and strident voice from all parts of the globe to get it to change it's mind.  Should you decide to take up the cause, you also need to know that at  the UCI World TT Road Champs during September this year in Belgium  medals were presented on the podium to women who had less than 6 in their class and indeed one class only had 1 competitor....

The words disenfranchised, discrimination, shabby treatment, intransigent, ageist and sexist keep popping into my mind...can't imagine why. 

Bring back the UCI Masters Commission!

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. And how far will we get with the'National' Masters commission taking up the cause:-( Seems the UCI are only interested in money, pity that a complete meet wasn't boycotted by all and sundry until they listen to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and people talk alot about being willing to do something but in the end do nothing.......

    ReplyDelete